Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Happy Place

Yesterday I went to my happy place for several hours.  It is an interesting thought...what is your happy place?  Every time I do an EKG on a patient, right before I am going to print...I say, "close your eyes and go to your happy place."  Once they are there I wait a minute and print.

It is a vicious cycle when you have a big event in your future...your brain circles itself and gets fused on some minute detail...and then you circle again.  Lots of questions to be answered, sequences to figure out and what ifs to consider...overload.

Trying to focus on the joy and excitement...not dewelling on the things that are knocking you off your saddle.

Which brings me to yesterday...I went to my happy place...and where was that???  My front yard.  Or more correctly my front yard without a cell phone.  I boycotted my cell phone for an entire day.  I spent 4 peaceful hours pulling weeds, sitting on the grass, enjoying the sun and the smells that travel on the fresh air.

Some would say their happy place is not pulling weeds...but gardening is so dang satisfying.  You take a section of flower bed and start pulling, it isn't long before you can see the canvas of your garden start to emerge.  It was peaceful.  An occassional neighbor would walk by waving.  My mom, unable to get ahold of me by phone drove over to my house to find me digging in the dirt.  Being dirty and stinky she didn't ask me to do anything for her.

After I had spent all morning pulling weeds, I took a shower and headed into town for a manicure/pedicure...that is a manicure/pedicure without my cell phone.  I spent a good 8 hours with my cell phone off.  Once home, I turned it on and checked the messages on the home phone...and you know what...the world did not end. 

I have discovered for future reference...that my happy place...is somewhere...where my cell phone does not exsist.

No comments: