Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tick Tock

It happened and I slept through it. The clock moved across that invisible line where my youngest child turned 21 years old. I know intellectually the moment he became 21 is no different than the moment before, when he was 20. But, emotionally I know that I am the mother of a 21 year old. There are no more "children" running around, although there haven't been children running around for a while...

Yesterday when we all went shopping for good cheese I came up to the check out and I am sure I was the only one who read the sign that said "If you were born after this date you can't purchase alcohol." I doubt Greg or Connor gave it a glance. It is stupid when you think about it...children...are able to vote and die in foreign countries for us when they turn 18, they just can't purchase a beer.

So many steps in a mother's life time, so many moments that are significant (in some ways only to you)...birth, first solid food, first smile, first word, first step, first moment away from you, first boo boo, first time you use the potty, day you gave up diapers, first sleep over, first time you saw Santa Clause, when you lost your first tooth, first time you took off on a bike, first day at school, second day at school, third day at schoo...ect...first day at middle school, off the summer camp, first job, first competition of any kind, first day of high school, DRIVERS LICENSE, first date, second date, third date....ect...graduation from high school, off to college, first time a girlfriend was brought home, first time you actually said you loved someone, first time you gave your heart for someone to hold....so many moments that a mother notices and never forgets....now...

I officially have adult children...no longer can I pretend and I realized when I woke up that no longer do I want to pretend. I love my adult children.

PS. Besides there is Enzo

No comments: