Monday, May 4, 2009

Human Zoo

I read an article this morning about the human zoo. It turned out not to be about what I thought it was but in fact, really hit the mark.

Our lives are so transitory, we rush around saying...hi, how are you...without slowing down to hear the answer. We keep getting more disconnected as technology marches forward. I can now carry on business while on vacation. I am only a cell phone away from making a business decision. Case in point...I was enjoying a weekend with the girlfriends and received 8 phones calls which required a business decision. I was happy on Sat. because the office was closed!

I am skeptical about putting a lot of personal information out on the world wide web...and there are certainly people in my past that I would not want to "reconnect" with. So My Space or Facebook are totally not on my radar. It was a challenge to learn how to text so I could keep in contact with my children but there are times I long to hear their voice. There is so much that is lost when you don't have a voice to hear the joy, pain, fear, longing...all the little icons don't quite measure up to hearing the human voice.

Some feel pressured to participate in the social network, it's like... not being picked for the team. You might miss something or god forbid there is a chance that you contact someone and they don't want to be your friend! Yikes, to be shut out by someone on the world wide web...what a slam!

"They" (who ever they are) keep coming up with new ways and new labels to gets us hooked. I think it may be a conspiracy by big business to know everything about our every choices and thoughts, so they can call us up and try to update the warranty on our car or get us a lower interest rate on our credit cards...cause god knows they found us on the cutely named site called Twitter....

No comments: