Saturday, May 30, 2009

Dog Anxiety

I am having dog anxiety. I can see why new parents now days have anxiety. There are thousands of books that tell you the right way to raise a child and most are telling you that you are doing it the wrong way. In fact by the shear volume of choices in the "raising a child" section you feel inadequate.

Enter the dog isle of the book store. Holy Moly...the first line of my new puppy book asks if you are ready to be totally responsible for the life of a new family member...I'm going to puke.

When I had my first child I barely connected the dots....add #1 to #2 and you could get #3...With my second child I had learned that definitely adding #1 and #2 will equal #4...that's advanced math.

But the last few years have been more about subtraction. Subtraction makes life simpler, in some ways better...in some ways just less. Now we are back into addition mode and I am having morning sickness, anxiety...will I be a good dog owner...nesting ( I have forced myself to stay out of the Pet Express...but the book tells me I have to buy a "few things" ahead of time).

But dang...the bottom line is, he is adorable and what I do know is that a dog will carry your heart until you or he dies.

No comments: