Monday, August 2, 2010

Should VS. Could

This past Friday I met with Jacqueline who helps people meditate and find the questions they want to ask and then answer them. I went in with a fairly open mind...more worried that I would come out depressed because what I learned ab out myself would create more questions.
She was very calming. We shared a little background information about both of us. Then I climbed on a massage table and she place pillows for comfort and a blanket for warmth. For the next 20+? minutes she spoke in a quiet voice taking me deeper into the meditative state. A couple of times I found myself snoring...but then she would ask me a question and I would indicate I had heard her by moving my hand or head...they felt so heavy and the movement was very slight. It seemed that I for the first time had reached a truly meditative state and maybe the reason I could achieve this every before is that I needed a guide. This alone pleased me. My busy mind could become quiet.


After she lead me back to the light we sat and talked about the path my mind had lead me on. Our discussion was very enlightening and...I felt I was close. So close to an answer. I was very rested but energized...energized to find an answer.


Today I being the next stage of my quest and I begin with giving up the shoulds. Whenever you say "I should...and fill in the blank" the should becomes a judgement, a shame of not doing something, not being something. The word should needs to be stricken from the vocabulary. I now substitute the word could...which makes the choice mine. I could do this...or I could do that. It places the power of my life in my own hands.


Listen to every time you say should and replace it with could...this one little change can have a huge impact.

No comments: