Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekend On

On a rotating basis we will end up working a weekend. To the Monday through Friday people working a weekend sounds like a bust. What I can tell you is, I like my weekend on.
In the past I have actually worked every weekend...that was hard, especially when the rest of your family has a Monday through Friday schedule. At the time I did "the every weekend" we were trying to save money and my kids were too old for babysitters and too young to be left to their own devices for 8-10 hours a day during the summer months...and well, I just couldn't stand the worry about my children...their safety...and more importantly I wanted to help create a nice summer for all of us. So, I was the Monday through Friday parent and Greg was the weekend parent since I worked 12 hour shifts on Sat. and Sun. It did mean we rarely had time off together...but, overall there were more positives than negatives and I have no regrets about our decision.
The flavor of that time did imprint on my brain how wonderful it is to work weekends. The tempo of the work place is quieter. There are no chiefs asking you what you are doing and moving you around for greater productivity. When you are a hard worker by nature...just because the boss isn't around doesn't mean you suddenly become a slacker. You get to quietly work hard. All that occurs on the job is the same...it is the air that feels different on the weekend. Ahhhhh....I am heading off to work and it is Sunday.

No comments: