Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Who Would Have Thunk It!?

Last week Greg and I went and saw the movie,"RED." It was a action comedy and was very entertaining. But one line has stuck with me all week. All the characters were retired spies. Morgan Freeman resided in a "rest home." When Bruce Willis visits him and warns him about a contract killer...Freeman says, "who would have thought it would come to this. We survived Vietnam, Afghanistan...and now we're just old...and who would have thought I would end up here."
As I head out this weekend to spend time with my childhood girlfriend...I realize we ARE old. We met when we were 14 years old and have remained friends for over 40 years. We both get AARP...for christ sakes...when did this happen. It is surprising because my brain still thinks I am HOT! But the mirror says NOT! The thing about getting older is that you start weeding out what doesn't absolutely bring you some semblance of joy. Time has more commodity than money. Family...well family is everything.
As I age I realize that holding onto pain...serves no purpose and so I can get rid of it faster. Life keeps marching on whether I am happy or not...so why not choose happy. It is the little things that can make your day...yesterday on my lunch break I figured out how to get my grandson's photo as wall paper on my phone...sweet...see getting older doesn't mean you can't figure it out!
Although I now know how important it is to know where the next "facilities" are located when traveling...and, that I need a comfortable bed and my routine...I am content with this age. It is who I am.

No comments: