Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How Do You Sign Off Your Mail?

I was reading an article about how people sign off their letters, whether it be snail mail or email. It is the one area of a letter that speaks about the writer.

I have one friend who signs off every correspondence with the word, "Later." It is simple, denotes a future connection and keeps it non-emotional. I find that I sometimes struggle when I get to that part of the letter...do I sign off with "Love, Anna?" do I love this person...or want to share the love?? Sometimes you feel stupid right at the moment you press send...when you see how you have signed off. I will sometimes pre-program a sign off...currently it is "Momento Vivere"..."Remember to Live" But we are all living...so if you send it to a concrete personality are they looking at that saying...why wouldn't I remember to live??? Besides...why sign off in a foreign language, am I supposed to know what the means or do I have to look it up????

Sincerely, sounds toooo formal and detached for most letters I write. Best Wishes, has to fit the letter. I used to sign off my emails to Greg, "Love, me" because I figured he knew it was me so signing Anna seemed...well dumb. And, I do love him so love seemed appropriate...but Love, me...sounded like a plea. So I stopped.

My previous sign off was, "I live in the Possibilities." So was I trying to convince others of who I am???
So, for a while I am going to change my sign off daily...and have it reflect what I am doing. Below are a list of potential sign offs for your letters.

Hangin' with the dog, Anna

•All you need is love
•Happy trails to you
•Hasta la vista, baby
•Keep your stick on the ice
•Kiss kiss bang bang
•Live long and prosper
•May the force be with you
•Over and out
•Over to you
•Peace, love, and unity
•Start the engines
•Stay tuned
•Tag! You’re it
•To be continued…
•Yabba dabba do
•Cheerful greetings to all
•Hugs
•Kind thoughts
•Take care
•Wishing you the best
•Write soon
•Your friend
•Yours in friendship
•Be good/well
•Cheerio
•Cheers
•I’m out
•More to come
•Smiles
•Ta ta for now
•Take care
•Take it easy
•Until next time

No comments: