Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Girlfriends Are A Sheltering Tree

Having spent last weekend with a girlfriend I must reflect on exactly how important are girlfriends in ones life. As we grow we pickup friendships and the friendships between girlfriends when you are young are usually quite volatile. I remember my neighborhood girlfriends and I constantly fighting...spending sometimes a whole hour not talking to each other!
In high school I had several friends but only one girlfriend. I can't remember us fighting??? but we shared important stuff...like who was cooler, John, Paul, George or Ringo...no question it was John! If you are lucky enough to have hung on to a childhood girlfriend into adulthood then you have a friend that has truly shared your joys and your heartaches during a very vunerable period of life, they share a common history...they share a mutual memory of a time gone bye...they are like a sheltering tree.
I am blessed to have a hand full of girlfriends who I can trust to be there when I need them, who will tell me the truth, who will listen to me as if they really hear me, share advice when I ask for it, and stand up with me if there is a fight...they have touched the memories of my children's growing years and they are still around after witnessing my highs and lows. Some are my age, some are older than me...and some are related to me...but ALL are a sheltering tree.

No comments: