Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Gentleman


Call me old fashioned by I like a gentleman. What makes a gentleman? I have been thinking about this since an experience we had at the grocery store. We were on our way in on a hot afternoon last Sunday when a senior citizen was lugging a watermelon from the outside of the store to place it in a cart on the inside. Greg grabbed a cart and brought it to her and helped her load her watermelon. The lady said, "Thank you so much! You don't see such helpfulness anymore."
My immediate reaction was...thank god I am married to a gentleman...cause I like them. I know there are some crabby people out there that don't want your help...don't want a door opened for them...or any assistance. But, I don't care. I kill them with kindness. There is not enough kindness in the world. Eye contact, noticing a person needs assistance or just down right conversation. While I was in another grocery store a elderly man saw me staring an the deli counter at a pile of really weirdly cut mac and cheese. The were cut into pie slices. He then proceeded to tell him a childhood story he remembered about a fight his parents had over chicken and dumplings. I stopped and listened...and heard his story. When I ran into him out in the parking lot he waved.
With all that is going on in the world I want to know there are kind people out there. I want to know that "the gentleman" still exists. What I know, is that living with me is a perfect gentleman...

No comments: