Friday, December 5, 2008

Deer Me!

Today I was heading up to Portland to meet my mom and visit with my son's. These type of visits can be fraught with joy and tension. You just never know how it is going to turn out and your hope is that everyone will walk away with love in their heart. But having grown up and learning early on that you have to be fast and light on your feet...what I do know is, it is a crap shoot. This has resulted in me playing out scenarios in my head...I will do this if that happens and I will do that if this happens.

So I was only 20 minutes into the trip in the dark when a deer ran out in front of me....I was traveling at 50 miles an hour. I swerved to the right and in slow motion said "Holy crap!" and then swerved real hard to the left. The deer and I looked each other in the eye and as I missed it by about one foot I realized that it is better to just drive through your fear and enjoy life.

So thank you deer, you not only kept awake but you made me realize that I am going to embrace the moment and go through any fear I might have.

No comments: