Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yoga VS Vertigo


Now that I am a few days out from this I can chuckle...a little. This year as the beginning of each year I try to figure out what is going to work for me...keep me healthy and moving forward. Although I own the most beautiful yoga mat given to me by my sister who SWEARS yoga is going to save us all...I think it may not be for me.

It might have been the trip to the ER after yoga class. A room with the temp set a 85 degrees, filled with mostly die-hard yoga people except for in the back row where I was...and, holding poses for 3-5 minutes. Class is supposed to make you feel better, more limber and refreshed. Not me...by minute 50 I realized my balance was off...I made it gingerly out of the room but then had to sit because I was dizzy. Then I made the walk down the hallway for water...but that is as far as I got. So as people trickled out of the class I thought...what the hey...what is wrong with me that I can't handle a little yoga class! BUT, one of the things I gave up this year was back talking to myself. I no longer plan on feeling bad about things that I can't accomplish or successfully perform.

Since I had a hard time walking...I thought maybe I would head to the Immediate Care. They didn't want me...boo hoo...so across the parking lot to the ER I went...NO I was not driving, Robin was, while my friend Lori picked up Greg and my car...which last longer at Juniper than I did!

3 hours later, with a liter of fluid and a little Zofran I not longer felt like I was going to upchuck the last weeks meals and I could walk...kind like I had only one cocktail instead of 10. Now 2 days later my balance is back.

What did I learn...I can't hold my head below my waist for 3 mintues...my body can, but my head can't handle it. I am no less of who I am because I couldn't handle Yoga. Enzo is happy cause it is going to be more walking for us and I didn't miss the Golden Globes, I just got to watch them on a gurney.

I think I am going to have to get some tips from Emily's mom who teaches Yoga sometimes...to special people.

No comments: