Tuesday, October 12, 2010

WWJD











I remember a few years ago a lot of people were wearing bracelets that had the initials...WWJD. Finally after seeing several of these I asked someone what it meant. "What would Jesus Do?" I was stunned to say the least. These were mostly worn by teenagers...given to them either by a parent or a youth minister to get them to think about WWJD before they took that first drag off a cigarette, had sex, drank booze or any manner of heathen activity. REALLY...as my cousin would say...


I started thinking about this yesterday when I heard some say that Christ (with a capital C) saved their marriage. I wondered why a person couldn't save their own marriage? I have always been curious about the idea that people are only good when they have religion. Can a person not be good, kind, honest just because it feels good to be these things? Can we only be good, kind and honest if we have religion and Christ? And what about all they other "gods"...are they not as good as ours???? I wish the group that believed in mankind, was kind, honest, supportive without the rules of religion was larger...because it seems the world is fractured by "my god is better than your god"...and we're going to heaven but your not! I have been on this quest since childhood when I used to cry myself to sleep because my dad did not believe in religion. How could such a generous, honest man end up in hell while, myself the doubter but the church goer would end up in heaven. Even at 8 yrs old...I had questions. What I found in my young adult years was you didn't need religion to be kind...in adulthood, I feared I would lead my children down a heathen path without religion...and now coming full circle I realize they are good people and so am I, without religion.


I think God (with a capital G) is laughing at us...we were given the soul to be kind, generous, empathic but instead we depend on those outside ourselves to tell us what is right and what is wrong...god takes many forms for different people but in all forms they are laughing...the joke is one us.

No comments: