Thursday, October 21, 2010

Have I Got A Story For You...

Greg was reminding me that if you get a group of people together in a circle and whisper a story to one person and they pass on the story...by the time it gets to the last person it would have morphed into an entirely different story. Which brings me to two different stories...one I believe morphed from the other.


About 3-4 weeks ago Robin introduced me to a patient of hers that lives up the hill on the golf course from us. I had shared earlier that Enzo woke up in the middle of the night barking at something outside and I had wondered what was out there. The patient said coyotes had taken down a deer in the early morning hours. Later when he went to investigate he found the deer was not dead but mortally wounded and called the police, who came out and shot the deer.

A week later I was told a story and asked if I had heard about it...a guy came out of his house on the golf course in front of golfers and the drink cart girl, shot a coyote. The drink cart girl was crying, the police were called who arrest the man for firing a gun (in front of golfers, inside city limits, at wild life).

This morning I was thinking about both stories, and there had been no news item of a gun being fired on the golf course, nor any record of an arrest. I told Greg, the first story was 1st person recount...but I think the other story was morphed though out the community with bits and peices of the first. The second story included, wildlife, a gun, the police and the golf course...the same as the first.

Which brings me back to what Greg was talking about...when a story is told over and over again it has a life of its own. I no longer take what I hear as fact. I wait, I research and then I decided if I believe what is being said.

No comments: