Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Ugly Cry


As I watch the news I am struck not only of the devastation in Japan but, of the honor shown to each other. There is no looting, no pushing or shoving for goods. As people wait in the shelters, they take their shoes off. Yesterday someone told me that they were surprised at how composed people were...but, I know of the ugly cry. In the face of great stress the Asian culture maintains calmness but it does not mean there is not pain. Occasionally the camera will pan towards someone who is in the midst of the ugly cry.


The ugly cry is rare, especially in public. In my entire life I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen my mother cry...and, never the ugly cry. The cry that is from the gut...where your eye swell and your nose runs. Although I am a crier...I myself can only remember crying the ugly cry twice in my life. Once seeing my dad's body and once in response to parental guilt.


There is so much crying...so much of the ugly cry...it is from the gut...and I wish there was something I could do.

No comments: